Most people are always on the lookout for new energy efficient ways to help minimize their monthly utility bills. Using the best water heater blanket is among the most effective way to do just that. Water heater blankets act as an insulation for your hot water tank such that the water in the tank retains heat for a longer time than it would without the insulation. Some of the newest models feature a wide range of innovations that come in handy in saving your expenditure on energy. For people using old water heater models, it is also imperative to consider shopping around for some of the latest versions since they are improved and more efficient.
According to Energy Savers, you are likely to reduce energy loss from your tank by about 25 percent to 45 percent after replacing your old heater model with a new model. Energy use statistics also reveal that most homesteads use 20 percent of their total energy consumption on water heating, and the best water heater blankets can help save up 10 percent of that energy.
Most water heater jackets (blankets) are constructed with a layer(s) of foam that vary in thickness depending on the brand. As such, you should look out for the features that are likely to affect the heater’s effectiveness before buying a water heater blanket. Such features include the heater’s R-value and the material used to make it among other features.
Top Ten Best Water Heater Blankets
M-D Building Products 4663 R-6.7 Water Heater Insulation Blanket
This M-D Building water heater blanket is one of the most efficient, premium quality products you will find in the market today. It is easy to install as it comes with an adhesive tape and instructions to follow. This fiberglass blanket is made with a white vinyl finish, and it is designed for use on electric, gas, or oil tanks. You can efficiently use it on a tank with a capacity of 60 gallons. It also features an insulating value of R6.7, which helps significantly with the reduction of energy loss and cost.
• It is easy to install.
• It is of superior quality.
• The fiberglass is vinyl-backed.
• It is lightweight.
• It has a tape and it is highly efficient.
• The included tape may not be enough for effective installation.
• It does not fit a 60-gallon tank as advertised.
• It is made from China. As such, it is accompanied by multiple quality complaints.
Duck Brand 280464 Water Heater Insulation Blanket
You can get yourself this 1.8-Inch x 48-Inch x 75-Inch water heater blanket if you are looking for top-level effectiveness. It is not only easy to use, but it is also made from an efficient insulating material. The material is also fiberglass-free, and it is free from all toxicity that could cause an irritation. It features a tape that makes the installation process easy, and it is made with a 6.7 reflecting value. It is supposed to fit a 60-gallon gas, oil, or electric tank. Nonetheless, most users argue that it does not, but it works efficiently on a 40-gallon tank.
• It is highly efficient and durable.
• This water heater jacket is made from a flame-retardant material, and it features a fiberglass-free construction design.
• It has an adhesive tape for easy installation.
• It is quite small, implying that you will need to buy two blankets to insulate a 60-gallon tank fully.
Frost King SP60 Water Heater Insulation Blankets
Frost King features one of the best water heater insulation blankets in the market. It is 3” thick x 60” tall x 90” long, which allows it to fit a large capacity tank. It features a superior design and weighs about 5.5 pounds, which makes it light. This water heater insulation blanket has a reflecting value of 10R, which makes it highly efficient at saving energy. This insulation blanket comes with a clear instruction manual that makes it easy to install.
• It is highly durable, effective, and exceptionally constructed.
• Both sides of the blanket are fitted with foil and fiberglass.
• It comes with a tape for installation.
• It has a reflective value of 10.
• Some users argue that the tape provided is not reliable while others complain that some of the indicated specifications are not functional.
• It does not fit all tanks singly.
SmartJacket Water Heater Blanket Insulation, “NON FIBERGLASS,” Fits up to 80 Gallons
This water heater blanket might be a perfect option for persons looking for an energy star certified production alongside a guarantee of satisfaction. It has a reflective value of 6.9, which reduces energy loss by up to 40 percent. Its design makes it ideal for gas and electric tanks of between 20 and 80 gallons. It features a 5MM thickness that is more effective as compared to the other brands. This makes the water heater blanket a great asset for many homeowners. It is a great investment whose value will be gained back in terms of cost saved in a matter of months.
• The water heater blanket is excellent at insulating.
• It covers an 80-gallon tank effectively.
• It features a stylish design and highly durable materials.
• Some users have complained about the legitimacy of the indicated R-value. The users claim that they did not notice any change in the energy efficiency after installing the blanket on their tanks.
SmartJacket Water Heater Blanket Insulation System
This water heater blanket is energy star certified, and it features a reflective value of 7.1 for efficiency. It is also constructed in a unique design such that a space is left between the tank and the blanket upon its installation for enhanced efficiency. It is designed for gas and electric heaters, and it comes with an instruction manual that is easy to understand and follow.
• It is easy to clean.
• The installation process is simple.
• It improves energy efficiency.
• It does not produce any muffle noise.
• It is not sufficiently thick to provide the insulation that some users want.
Low-E Simple Solution Rolls- ESP Low-E® SSR
It can be used on tanks of up to 80 gallons and it measures 6′ x 9′. The brand has been produced in USA for over 25 years, which guarantees its quality and efficiency. It comes with a low- E Reflective Insulation an aluminum foil seam tape, and self-adhered foam spacers for an enhanced insulation. The insulation rolls are undoubtedly one of the most effective ways to save on your energy bills while at the same time increasing the efficiency of your tank. It has a reflective value of 5, and you can easily save up to 20 percent of your energy bill.
• It has a reinforced scrim foil tape.
• It is made with non-fiberglass.
• Both sides are foiled.
• Some users argue that they have not noticed any difference between the tank temperatures and those on the blanket upon touch.
Thermwell- Frost King SP90A R3.5 Reflective Water Heater Insulation Blanket
This water heater blanket is made of foil and fiberglass to enhance its energy saving efficiency. It measures 1 x 48 x 75 inches, which allows you to use it over a wide range of tanks. It features a reflective value of 3.5, which is highly reliable at helping you save on the monthly bill for heating. Its insulation is further enhanced by the fact that it is double sided, which makes it perfect at retaining heat.
• It is easy to install and durable.
• It is highly efficient.
• This heater blanket comes with an adhesive tape for installation.
• It has fiberglass and foil for double siding.
• It only has a reflective value of 3.5.
• Some users argue that they have not noticed any difference in the water heater efficiency.
REFLECTIVE FOIL- HOT WATER TANK HEATER INSULATION JACKET DIY ‘PREMIUM’ KIT
This water heater jacket is made of a reflective foil that works to stop the loss of about 97 percent of radiant heat. The manufacturer has a 26-year experience that guarantees quality production. It is designed to fit a tank of about 40 gallon. The average consumer payback when you buy this water heater jacket is between 6 months and one year. It does not have foam spacers since they are fire hazards. It is built for both gas and electric tank heaters.
• It has an energy saving reflective foil.
• The jacket is reliable at improving energy efficiency.
• It is fire rated- Class A.
• It is nontoxic and non-carcinogenic.
• It does not cover the whole tank, which is an issue for most users.
Nasa Tech Heavy Duty Reflective Foam Core Non Fiberglass 50 Gallon Water Heater Tank Insulation Wrap
This heat insulation wrap is made from a heavy-duty reflective foam in order to retain most of the energy within a tank. It is ideal for a 50-gallon tank and will save up to 20 percent of your total water-heating bill. It features a reflective value of 5, which symbolizes its heat retention efficiency. This water heater blanket can be used on gas, oil, and electric water heaters conveniently. It is fire rated and has been classified as Class A.
• The wrap provides a perfect fit.
• It is easy to install and maintain.
• It is highly durable and efficient at saving energy.
• It is a bit thin, a factor that may reduce its efficiency.
Thermwell Products SP57-5 Water Heater Blanket
Get yourself this 11/2 X 48 X 75-inch water heater blanket and you will effectively reduce your water heater-feet’s recovery time with a big fraction. It is designed to fit up to 60-gallon tanks. You can use it to save energy on your gas, electric, or oil water heaters. It is made from vinyl and backed fiberglass, and it features an insulation blanket.
• This heater blanket is highly efficient.
• The blanket’s construction utilizes fiberglass and vinyl.
• The tape is adhesive but some users claim that it is almost useless.
Why You Need a Water Heater Blanket
A water heater blanket is one of the most effective and reliable ways of ensuring energy preservation in a water heating tank and creating an eco-friendly environment. With this, you are able to reduce energy loss during the heating process in the most sustainable way. A water heater blanket is especially beneficial to the users who still use the conventional electric systems.
For you to establish whether you are in need of a water heater blanket for insulation, you should touch the outside of your tank each time you are heating. If you feel some warmth, you need to insulate it in order to preserve the heat for longer periods.
You also need a water heater blanket because it reduces your energy costs while reducing your carbon footprint at same time. You can get yourself a water heater blanket for between $20 and $50 from Lowe’s, Amazon, or your local hardware store.
What You Can Expect From the Best Water Heater Blanket
Some of the important factors you should consider when looking for the best water heater blanket include:
• The water heater blanket’s R Value
This indicates the thermal resistance of the blanket. It is imperative to note, however, that just because a blanket is thick does not necessarily translate to a great R value. The higher the R value, the better the water heater blanket. In this case, you should ensure that the minimum R value of your blanket is 1.00. For efficiency, we recommend that you go for R-8 and avoid those with an R-value that exceeds 16.
It is essential that you get a water heater blanket made from a fire, mold, and moisture resistant material. This enhances the longevity of the blanket and ensures the safety of your home. Besides being resistant to fire and other elements, look out for a water heater blanket that is labelled, “Non-toxic” and “Non-allergic” for health and environmental safety.
This is an apparent factor. You should choose the size of the blanket in accordance to the size of your tank(s). Since you will find a wide range of sizes to choose from, it is important to exercise some caution as you shop.
• Ease of installation
It is always a good idea to choose a water heater blanket that you can install with ease. It should only require the use of simple tools like a pair of scissors and a measuring tape. Where possible, get a blanket that comes with an adhesive tape since it would be much easier to install.