Snakes are all over, and it’s only natural that a large portion of the population has some fear of these reptiles. Protecting your home, family, and pets from these snakes is extremely important, especially if you live in an area with poisonous ones. You can do this by investing in the best snake repellent.
There are several different types and brands of snake repellents available, and it may take you a while to find the right one. However, our best snake repellent buying guide and our snake repellent reviews cover all of your bases you can quickly and easily compare them and choose the repellent that’s best for your situation.
Best Snake Repellent Buying Guide
Different Types of Snake Repellents
Did you know that there are more than one type of snake repellent available? The first thing you have to do is decide on what type of snake repellent you want to use.
- Chemical Repellent – The most common chemicals people use in snake repellents are sulfur and naphthalene (mothballs). They’ve very effective because the smell blocks the snake’s sense organs and disorients them, so they leave. However, they have a very strong scent that lingers.
- Electronic Repellent – Electronic repellents are one of the most popular types due to their ease of use. They work by either using vibration, electromagnetic pulses, or ultrasonic noises. They can come with battery, electricity, or solar power, and they don’t present any danger to your kids or pets.
- Natural Repellent – Natural repellents are made out of a mixture of essential oils and water. Snakes seem to have a strong aversion to cinnamon, cloves, and cedar, so natural repellents will usually mix these together.
Snake Repellent Considerations
Once you choose a snake repellent, you have to keep a few of these criteria in mind.
Ideally, your snake repellent should work on a variety of common pests including mice or rodents because this is the snake’s main food source. If the repellent works on them as well, the snakes will continue to stay away even if it wears off because they won’t have a steady food source to sustain them.
Any repellent you choose should be safe to be used around people and animals. Even if you don’t have pets or kids, you don’t want to get sick yourself if you accidentally come into contact with the repellent after you’ve put it down. This is why a lot of people like the natural and electronic repellents. They’re safe to use, even in high traffic areas.
Some snake repellents claim to be weatherproof, but they may weaken every time they get wet. You want to make sure that whatever repellent you choose will stand up to the elements and last through water, snow, or other weather conditions without having to reapply them.
10 Best Snake Repellent Reviews
These snake repellent granules help to prevent snakes from foraging, entering, or nesting when you scatter them. They’re safe for plants, people, and pets so you can spread them around your yard. They’re also resistant to rain, and they’re designed to be long-lasting.
They repel snakes using essential oils, so there is no lingering odor. They’re ready to use straight out of the container, and it’s a no-mess application process. These granules overwhelm the snake’s sense of smell, and this makes it impossible for them to hunt their prey effectively.
- Contains a no-odor formula with essential oils
- One application lasts a full 30 days and it’s water-resistant
- May not last the full 30 days
- Product may wash off with heavy rainfall
This snake repellent is designed to work on both non-poisonous and poisonous snake species quickly and effectively. You get four pounds in a single order, and this is enough to cover a half on an acre of land with a medium coating.
It can last between two and three months depending on environmental factors, and this repellent is EPA-registered so it won’t harm the snakes. It has a 91 percent repellent rate, and it contains a mixture of sulfur and naphthalene. When a snake comes in contact with these granules, it gets disoriented and leaves.
- Very easy to use and it doesn’t hurt the snake
- One application lasts between two and three months
- Have to use a lot in a single application
- Can have a strong smell that lingers
This snake repellent uses a mixture of sulfur and several essential oils including cinnamon, ceder, and clove. This natural formula won’t harm your kids, pets, or your plants when you use it so you can put it down in high-traffic areas without any problems.
This long-lasting formula is designed to be effective immediately after you place it in the problem areas, and you get four pounds of granules in a single order. You only need to sprinkle a light layer around your desired area for this to work, and you sprinkle it in eight-inch wide rings.
- Uses a natural formula with essential oils
- Safe to use around high-traffic areas
- Has a very strong mothball smell
- May not be effective on some snake species
You can choose from a 32-ounce spray bottle or a large 128-ounce bottle. It is designed to work on venomous and non-venomous snake species quickly and easily. It works for surrounding your home, garage, yard, or garden, and it’s ready to go as soon as you get it.
This repellent is formulated with a natural essential oil formula that is safe to use around your kids, pets, and plants. It has peppermint oil, cinnamon oil, clove oil, and water. It lasts for up to a month between applications, and it has a very light scent.
- Contains a natural and safe formula
- Choose from two different bottle sizes
- Might not repel snakes very far from the application sites
- Might not work on all snake species
This four pound package of snake repellent is made with an all natural USDA-certified formula. It uses a blend of essential oils and sulfur to naturally repel any snakes without harming them. You can also sprinkle it around your pets, kids, and plants without a problem.
It’s designed to work around patios, gardens, fences, houses, woodpiles, and patios quickly and effectively. The blend of oils works to disorient the snake and overpower its sense of smell for painless repelling. It works on poisonous and non-poisonous snake species, and it lasts between one and two months from the application.
- Containes a USDA-certified natural formula
- Designed to use around high-traffic areas
- Powder may wash away in heavy rain
- Could be harmful to frogs and lizards
This non-lethal barrier is made out of a blend of natural plant oils, and this makes it safe to use around your kids and pets without worrying about them getting sick. The granules are easy to use, and you just sprinkle them around the perimeter of the area you want to guard.
It’ll keep snakes away by disorienting them, and one application can last up to a month. You only need a light layer when you make a perimeter so that this four-pound container can last. It can also be used to deter certain types of frogs.
- Forms a non-lethal barrier with plant oils
- Only need to use a light application for it to work
- Might have an initial strong smell
- May only work for two to three weeks between applications
This 32-ounce snake repellent is ready to spray as soon as you get it. It contains small amounts of cedar, cinnamon, and clove essential oils along with sulfur, water, and Fuller’s Earth. This formula gets into the snake’s sensing organs and dulls them.
Since this is spray, it can quickly and easily cover larger areas with a single bottle. Since this is a natural formula, it’s safe to use in areas where your pets and kids play and hang around. This formula also has a very light and pleasant scent that lingers.
- Spray formula can quickly cover large areas
- Has a light scent that smells like cloves
- Recommended to dilute the spray before you use it
- Might only last a few weeks
This humane snake repellent uses vibration to ward off snakes. It emits a sonic beep at 400Hz and vibrates every 30 seconds. It’s solar powered, so you don’t have to worry about changing batteries or charging it for it to work.
You want to place one of these repellent devices every 50 feet around the perimeter to provide total coverage. They’re very easy to install, and you just sink them into the ground. They’re ready to work straight out of the box, and they come with a three-month guarantee so you can send them back if you’re not satisfied.
- No chemical applications required with this device
- Emits a sonic beep and vibrates every 30 seconds
- Might not work for an extended time
- Might have to place them closer together
This snake repellent option is chemical free and odorless. It works on a variety of common pests including rodents, snakes, and insects. This device includes a nightlight so you can see it easily in the dark, and it protects up to 1,600 square feet.
It comes with a lifetime guarantee and a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee so you can return it quickly and easily if you’re not satisfied. This device is safe to use around your kids and pets, and it runs on electricity. It works both indoors and out, and it can withstand a variety of temperature fluctuations.
- Single device has a range of 1,600 square feet
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee
- Needs a power source to run
- Might need to place a device in every room for adequate coverage
This product comes in two-pounds containers, and you can choose from a single pack or a pack of six containers. It’s harmless to animals and plants, and the granular repellent is quick and easy to apply to your selected areas. You should apply it year-round for the best results.
A single application can repel snakes from the area for weeks, and you only need a light application for it to work. It isn’t water-resistant, so you may have to reapply it if you live in an area with a lot of rain.
- Single application can last for weeks
- Can buy a single pack or a case of six
- Might take a few days to start to work
- Have to reapply it after it rains once or twice
Snakes can be a dangerous problem if you live in an area with poisonous ones or they can be a nuisance for areas with non-poisonous ones. A good snake repellent can help you drastically reduce the number of snakes you find in and around your property, and it can make it a safer environment for your family and your pets. Our buying guide points out important things you want to remember, and our reviews give you a good starting point to help you pick out the best snake repellent for your needs.