People interested in maintaining an active lifestyle cannot always take their dumbbells with them. Additionally, having a home gym can be expensive, and it always requires an intensive amount of space. Resistance bands, however, offer a compact, portable, effective fitness solution for anyone wanting toning or strength conditioning. Basically, for a fun, quick yet sweat-inducing work-out, all resistance bands require is for you to unpack them and get to work.
What Are Resistance Bands?
If you have ever seen a bungee cord, you will get the idea. Except resistance bands are made specifically for fitness, so they might be shaped slightly different. Additionally, they come in various thicknesses that provide resistance measured in pounds. For instance, you can purchase a two-pound band, or you can buy a five-pound band. During the workout, the band offers the equivalent of five-pounds of resistance.
Generally have two ends, each equipped with a clasp. A common practice is to screw a small .5-inch eye-ring into a door jamb. An eye ring is a metal wood screw, but instead of a normal screw head, the head is circular in the form of a ring. All that is required is to screw it into a piece of solid wood until just the metal eye–the circle–is visible.
With the eye screw in place, you can then clip one end of the resistance band to it and another to a one-handed workout handle bar. As you then pull on the handle bar, the resistance band does what it was made for–it resists. Depending on the strength of the band, the result is a pleasant, low-key or high-intensive workout to your arms, legs, or back.
Resistance bands tone and build strength in the muscles in your legs, back, buttocks, ankles, and arms. Many of the resistance bands can also be stacked, that is, used in combination, to increase the level of resistance providing a further challenge for your muscles.
Where you use them
Unlike expensive gym memberships, resistances bands are a fairly inexpensive alternative that affords you the same level of fitness–anytime, anywhere. You can workout at home, on a break at work, or even on vacation.
Best Resistance Band Buying guide
Since you will be using your resistance bands frequently, you need to ensure they are capable of enduring being stretched and pulled and used over a period of months. Generally, the material will last up to two years. When it comes to clasps, the metal needs to be made of high-quality steel.
The bands should come with a 30-day retail warranty that allows returns. Additionally, look for a one-year warranty from higher-grade bands. The reason the warranty is important is that it will allow enough time to inspect the bands for fraying or cracking.
Not all bands are the same, so you must read the weight labels. Some, for instance, are printed with the exact resistance strength in pounds. Others, however, offer a more vague label: extra light, light, medium, heavy, and extra heavy. Both work fine, it just depends on your own personal taste as to which type meets your needs.
Depending on your fitness level and fitness goals, you may want to consider purchasing stackable resistance bands. Stacking resistance bands allows you more options to personalize your workout and meet your current fitness needs. Most stackable resistance bands stack from 50 up to 150 pounds of resistance strength.
If you are new to resistance bands make sure to look for one that includes a manual of exercises. If no manual is available, ensure that it provides some online tutorials to help you make the most of your workout routine.
Sample exercises or tutorials are important because they help you include variety into your workout. For instance, making up your own routines may suffice at first, but adding variety and knowing how to progress once you have hit a fitness plateau can be very difficult. It can be very easy to lose focus and motivation without some professional, step-by-step guidance.
Some bands recommend they be wiped with some sort of oil. For instance, Armor All is a rubber coating that you can apply to the band to prevent it from becoming brittle. With that in mind, it is also important to never leave them in the sun. Store them in a drawer.
A lot to choose from
Of course, there a lot of resistance bands to choose from. Many brands offer a variety of resistance strengths, and some even offer resistance bands sets. Due to there being so many options, selecting the right one for your needs can be difficult. Following are the top 10 resistance bands for working out.
Best Resistance Bands For Working Out Reviewed
This Swelldom set comes with five bands, two ankle straps, one door anchor, two cushioned handles, and one carrying bag. Because each band is labelled with the weight rating, these bands take the guess-work out of your workout. Furthermore, each band is color coded, so you can grab the weight you need at a glance. The total weight range is from 10 pounds up to 50 pounds.
- durable anti-snap technology
- adjustable resistance intensity
- perfect for any fitness level
- stackable resistance up to 50 pounds
- color coded
- If you are allergic to latex, you may want to avoid this product.
- Also, depending on your current strength or fitness level, you may want resistance bands that provide greater stacking resistance as 50 pounds of resistance might be good for legs, but it might be insufficient for back exercises.
The resistance loop bands from Limm are perfect for a variety of fitness activities: warm-ups, physical therapy, Pilates, yoga, and home workouts. You can tone your body without ever stepping foot in a gym.
- online video tutorials
- 12-inch straps allow for further stretch
- TPE free natural latex
- odor free
- If you are of smaller stature, the 12-inch straps may be too big.
This 11-piece set by Tribe is made from 100 percent natural latex from Malaysia. Each band includes a high-quality, metal clip and comfortable, cushioned handles. Additionally, the use of high-grade silicon ensures that the resistance bands will not deform, snap, or dry out. You will be able to reap the fitness benefits of working out with Tribe’s premium resistance bands for years to come.
- double-layer construction
- advanced elasticity
- stackable to 105 pounds
- carrying bag is waterproof
- If you are already in great shape you may want to consider a resistance band that stacks higher than 105 pounds.
- Also, the bands are 48 inches, which may prove to be to long for smaller individuals.
Although the Insonder FIT Loop resistance bands significantly increase the resistance for exercises like lunges, squats, and jumping, the resistance varies from light to extra heavy. Consequently, they are suitable for lighter arm workouts. Additionally, the lightweight bands are especially suitable for physical therapy purposes, such as to increase mobility and injury recovery.
- e-book containing routines
- supplement a variety of training programs
- designed for physical therapy
- Since the bands are color coded from extra-light to extra-heavy, users do not know the actual weight resistance they are utilizing. This may or may not be a con. It is, perhaps, more an issue of personal preference.
The resistance bands by Wenfeng comes with five, 48-inch bands that are color coded. The multi-clip system allows you to personalize your workout to meet your fitness goals. Users can achieve this by using any combination of bands up to 150 pounds of weight resistance.
- natural latex is environmentally friendly
- perfect for experts and beginners
- If you are looking to purchase a basic resistance loop bands set this resistance bands set may be a little bit more than you need. Additionally, the longer bands might require longer distance from the connection point.
Upowex Pull Up Assist latex tube bands are perfect for squat, push-up, bench press, and pull-up training. You can even use them for Olympic lifts. Specifically, the assist bands will help you achieve better strength in your range of motion. Since resistance is the main component of all of the exercises, your muscles will receive a more complete workout with this product, and that will promote an increase in muscle growth.
Additionally, since these are made for the purpose of powerlifting and strength training, they are ideal for people seeking to build muscle or achieve a bulkier frame.
- good for stretching and powerlifting
- individual band resistance is adjustable
- If you are looking for an overall body workout, the Upowex pull up assist bands may be too specific for your needs.
Completing your exercise routines is made easier with MVN resistance loop bands. One of the best features of this particular set is that you will never have to rely on a book or app again. The exercises are printed in easy-to-read print directly on the bands.
This set offers four levels of resistance, ranging from light to extra heavy, making it easy for you to reach your strengthening and toning goals. For beginners in general or people new to resistance bands in particular, this set is user friendly and adaptable for a variety of goals.
- printing on band withstands repeated stretching
- perfect for kids, women, and men
- stretches up to two times the diameter
- If you have a larger stature you may not be able to achieve your workout goals with the 12-inch resistance bands.
Although the bands come with pre-printed exercises, you might run out of variety within a few months. If you want to add variety to your routine, you will have to search online for workouts to meet your needs.
If you are in need of resistance bands that go beyond daily fitness, Odoland’s 16-piece set may be just what you are looking for. For instance, this set goes beyond the typical resistance loop bands in that it includes an additional 11-piece resistance bands kit.
These extras allow for a variety of arm and leg exercises, ensuring that you can achieve your optimal fitness level. Additionally, the broad array of bands allow for fitness or physical therapy.
- made from premium thread count Nylon and natural latex
- clearly labeled weight on resistance bands
- high-quality grommets
- resistance tube bands range five to 25 pounds
- resistance tube bands are stackable to 75 pounds
- The loop resistance bands’ individual weight resistances are not printed on the bands. If you need resistance to exceed 75 pounds you may want to choose different resistance bands set.
Give yourself an extra boost during your workout with this bundled deal. The Thirty 48 bundle includes five, 12-inch resistance loop bands, ranging from extra-light to extra-heavy resistance. They also include two, seven-inch dual-core sliders. Sliders help with coordination, and each one is encased with plastic on one side and fabric on the other.
They are suitable for just about any floor and do not require more space than a person typically takes up while standing. Perhaps the best function of this set is that the sliders help you add variety to your workout routine, which helps keep you motivated to continue working out.
- comes with core sliders
- core sliders work on rugs, carpets, hardwood, or tile floors
- exercises for core sliders and resistance bands included
- user guide included
- includes online tutorials
- If you have a weak upper body strength the core sliders may prove too difficult of a workout.
Toplus resistance loop bands can help you increase your muscle strength, shape your body, keep your bones healthy, and improve your metabolic rate. The high-quality craftsmanship of each band ensures you experience a comfortable workout.
- five to 40 pounds loop band resistance
- soft, smooth bands that will not pinch or bind
- extra-light to extra-heavy resistance levels
- The exact weight resistance in pounds is not labeled on the bands.